Having an even skin tone plays a vital role in enhancing the beauty and appeal of an individual. Sadly most people face the problem of darkening of the skin, especially around the joint areas such as knees, elbows and armpits. In fact, these areas tend to become significantly black as compared to the skin on other body parts even with minimal exposure to the sun. People suffering from the problem of such dark joint skin, tend to feel self-conscious and even embarrassed. Thankfully there are several effective home remedies that can help resolve this problem in a natural manner. However, before learning about these remedies, it is important to understand the reasons behind the excessive skin darkening of these specific areas.
What Causes Joint Skin To Become Black
Not many people are unaware of the fact that the skin around the joints, specifically knees and elbows is thicker. It has more folds as compared to the skin in the surrounding areas and also lacks any oil glands. This tends to make the skin drier and the absence of proper care and hygiene leads to skin darkening. In addition, frequent rubbing of the joint skin, the increase of melanin content, overexposure to the sun and dead skin build up can also contribute towards dark elbows and knees. Other factors that might be responsible for the problem include genetic ones, hormonal imbalance and even obesity.
Home Remedies To Lighten Up Dark Joint Skin
Having learnt about the causes of dark joint skin, it is time to take a look at the best home remedies to treat the problem. Discussed below are some of the most effective natural ways to get rid of dark elbows, armpit and knees using common household items.
The rich vitamin E content found in coconut oil helps in lightening the skin tone besides keeping the skin hydrated. It not only helps in preventing dryness of the skin but is also effective in repairing dark damaged skin.
- Gently massage the dark skin around the joints with a small amount of coconut oil for at least 1-2 minutes. Repeat the process at least 2-3 times a day to prevent dryness and get the lighter toned skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with a ½ tablespoon of lemon juice and rub the mixture on affected areas. Leave the mixture on for 15-20 minutes before wiping it off with a paper towel.
- Add enough coconut oil to 1 tablespoon of coconut powder to get a thick paste. Use it 2-3 times a week to exfoliate the dark skin around joints for a lighter and appealing look.
The natural skin lightening and hydrating properties of aloe vera make it one of best home remedies for dark elbow treatment. Its regular use helps in maintaining an even skin tone besides helping with the repair of damaged skin cells.
- Break open a fresh aloe vera leaf to extract its gel and apply the same to the dark skin around joints. Leave the gel on for at least 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water. Repeat the process at least 1-2 times a day for a couple of weeks.
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for the treatment of dark joint skin. It lightens the skin tone, besides enhancing its glow. Moreover, its natural antibiotic and antiseptic properties prove effective in the treatment of skin damage.
- Add 1 teaspoon of milk cream to a little amount of turmeric powder to make a consistent paste. Apply this paste to the affected areas and massage for a couple of minutes. Leave the paste on and allow it to dry before washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Add enough rose water to a mixture of equal amounts of turmeric powder and gram flour to make a consistent paste. Massage this paste onto the dark elbows, knees and armpits and then leave it on to dry before scrubbing it off using lukewarm water.
The natural bleaching and exfoliating properties of lemon along with its high vitamin C content help in lightening the skin tone. In addition, it also helps to effectively regenerate skin cells in a natural manner.
- Apply lemon juice directly on the dark knees, elbows and armpits and massage gently for 1-2 minutes. Leave it on for at least 20 minutes before washing off with warm water and applying a moisturizer.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of freshly extracted lemon juice. Apply the mixture on the affected areas around the joints and leave it on for at least 20 minutes before washing off with water.
Mint is a rich source of several essential oils for elbows, knees and armpits and skin in general. Its regular use makes the skin glow with health and helps maintain even skin tone.
- Boil 2-3 mint leaves in the ½ cup of water and adds ½ lemon juice to it. Apply the cooled down solution to the affected areas using a cotton swab. Leave the solution on for 15-20 minutes before washing off with warm water.